Are you looking for the Chromebook for your kids? Then keep your worries aside as we bring in the list of the best Chromebooks for kids that will suit the individual needs of your kids. In today’s era, computers have become a necessity for modern education. Not only for college students but also for primary education and high school.
Many school projects are given to children that may require information from the computer but the real challenge is, operating a computer can be a bit complicated for children. Hence, the alternative solution for this problem is the invention of the Chromebook, which can be easily accessible for children. The Chromebook came into existence in the year 2011 by Samsung and Acer Inc. Now the questions arise, What exactly is Chromebook, and what is the difference between Chromebook and a computer?
In this article, we will summarize Chromebooks and suggest some best Chromebooks for kids s with their advantages and disadvantages. This will help you analyze your requirements into a structured format and will also make you choose the best one that can cater to your needs.
More Chromebook Guide:
What is a Chromebook?
Chromebook is a kind of laptop that uses a Linux-based Google Chrome OS platform instead of Windows or Mac operating systems. Chrome OS is an operating system on a chrome browser, which is like Mac and windows as they have the same features. Earlier, Chrome OS was a glorified browser, but today, Chromebook now supports various Android applications and Linux applications.
Chromebook can be used for various purposes like education and research for kids Projects and Assignments. The system of Chromebook is very handy to use, and it also has boot up of just eight seconds.
List of Top 5 Chromebooks for Kids:
- ASUS Chromebook Flip C302CA-DHM4
- Samsung Chromebook Pro Convertible
- Google Pixelbook Go
- Samsung Chromebook Plus V2
- Lenovo Chromebook Duet
List Of Best Chromebooks For Kids in 2021:
If you are in search of a simple multimedia Chromebook for your kids, then Acer Chromebook 11 is perfect for you. Acre Chromebook 11 is a Chrome OS laptop with an 11.60-inch screen display that offers 1280×720 pixel quality. It is powered by a Celeron Dual-core processor with 4GB of RAM. This device packs up to 32GB of SSD storage and is the most efficient device in the market.
- The feature includes the anti-glare panel which minimizes the effect of harmful rays. It also provides the most comfortable backlit keyboard for the user’s efficiency
- This Chromebook comes along with. USB 3.0 port permits the faster transfer of data in comparison to Standard USB 2.0 ports, which are usually found in maximum laptops.
- It offers a wide-screen display that is perfect for watching videos and movies. It enables your child to enjoy educational videos on a widescreen.
- The major advantage of this Chromebook is its battery life. This Chromebook provides ten-hour battery life, which is sufficient for your child.
- There are several complaints regarding software and hardware which can be a defect in the product
- Some customers also complain about the slow operating system of the Chromebook when multiple tasks are performed at the same time.
Does your child have the habit of using Chromebook roughly? If yes, then this Chromebook is ideal for your kids. Now you don’t have to stay stressed because of your child. Asus Chromebook USo4 has an 11.6 inches display screen and is powered by Intel Celeron Dual-core processor. It has 4GB of RAM and up to 16 GB SSD storage. It also offers HD Graphics Card used to manage the functionality and only weighs 0.99 kgs. ASUS serves as a great choice because of its high durability design elements and long battery life. This makes it the best choice for students.
- The edges of this Chromebook is made of have bumpers of rubber placed on it that can be soaked in drops and bumps from a little height.
- The rubber which is at the edges provides a firm grip along with the safety of the device. This makes it durable and efficient for use.
- Another feature of the Chromebook is that it is spill-free. You don’t need to worry if your child spills something on the keyboard.
- The user can set the viewing angle according to him due to its design, which allows moving up to 180°
- The Chromebook comprises two options of memory; 32GB and 62B. You can choose according to your usage.
- According to the feedback of some buyers, the screen resolution should be adequately channelled for efficient utilization of features and resources.
- On the keyboard, the letters light blue on the non-back lid and the keys are black. This combination creates difficulty in low-light conditions because the letter might not be visible properly and cause irritation in the eye.
If you want to store extensive files in your Chromebook, then this option is perfect for you. Lenovo Chromebook C330 is 2 in one convertible device with 11.6-inch display and MediaTek processor. It provides 4 GB storage and 64 GB eMMC flash memory. Thin, light and reliable, this Chromebook is a game-changer in the market. It will simplify your life and its durability and efficiency are totally worth the investment you will make on the Chromebook.
- The storage space available in this Chromebook is 64GB, and it also has a separate slot for an SD card, which gives us an option to extend the store.
- The hinge is designed in such a manner that the screen can be folded and can be used as a tablet. This feature makes it versatile and one of it’s kind.
- This Chromebook comes with various additional features like Bluetooth, USB-C port, Wi-Fi, and HD webcam
- According to the reviews of some users, the touch experience and image quality can be better.
This is an ideal Chromebook for kids who need to take the Chromebook in school because it is light-weighted and ultra-portable. Flip and touch, full HD quality screen and brand warranty available, this product are well worth a try. Asus C302CA-DHM4 is a laptop with a 12.50-inch display. It is powered by a Core m3 processor and it comes with 4GB of RAM.
- The weight of this Chromebook is less than 2.8 pounds and even thickness is 13.7 millimetres only. This makes the device extremely light-weighted.
- This Chromebook can rotate at 360° which means the screen can be placed in any position. The body of the Chromebook is made of metal, which makes it long-lasting.
- It is slim, light and incredibly stylish. A user can effectively switch from a Chromebook to a tablet in a matter of a second. It’s a versatile feature of a 360-degree hinge, absolutely awesome.
- It has the feature of Bluetooth and Wi-Fi
- There is a major drawback in the product, reviews state that the battery life is low.
This Samsung Chromebook 3 is for anyone who is looking for a balance between features, price, and portability as it satisfies all the above conditions. Samsung chromebook3 is an incredible tiny laptop with up to 10 hours of battery life and 4 GB RAM. It is the most cost-effective device for students and kids.
- There are options available for storage space, which includes 16GB, 32GB, and 64GB. One can choose according to his usage and preference.
- The keyboard of this Chromebook is designed in a way that it is spill-resistant, which means it can resist a small amount of spilt liquid on it
- It offers a battery life of 11 hours. It can last a day if you are purchasing it for school purposes.
- The weight of this Chromebook is 2.54 pounds, which means anyone can carry it easily.
- Some users stated that the processor of this Chromebook does not fit well for multi-tasking as the speed gets slow. It is only good enough for internet browsing.
- Few users even stated that the build quality is not at the best
- Many users even complained about the speaker quality of this Chromebook
This Chromebook fits perfectly for adolescents and teenagers as it offers various sets of impressive features. The most unique quality or feature that Samsung Chromebook pro has is the build-in pen that offers you services to draw, write and design on the screen. Samsung Chromebook pro contains Intel Core m3 4GB memory and 64GB eMMC flash memory.
- When it comes to clarity, This Chromebook offers a 12.3-inch LED screen and a resolution of 2400×1600 hence, it provides outstanding clarity
- It also comprises a touchscreen and a stylus (pen) which makes it easier to write and draw on the screen
- It also offers a battery life stands of 9.75 hours, which ensures that you can run the Chromebook for kids then you need a longer duration of time between charges
- It comprises a backlit keyboard which allows the child to type easily even when it’s dark. It also has a whole black finish on its surface that makes it attractive.
- This Chromebook is a bit expensive than other options available in the market and it is suitable for teens and adolescents only as children may not have the ability to tap into the full potential of the device
- Many users reported the problem of the touchscreen. Although, these were stated as manufacturing defects in some units only.
This Chromebook provides the option of the significant choice of storage, memory, and kind of screens. Dell Chromebook 11 is a school-oriented laptop of 4 generations of the intel core processor. It looks simply like a business model for professionals than a sleek customer model, it lacks attractive design elements.
- You have the option to buy this Chromebook in three memory data configuration which includes; 16GB, 32GB, And 64GB. The 64GB variant comes with a touchscreen.
- The battery life of this Chromebook is 10 hours, which is more than enough for your kids.
- The 64GB version comprises a screen of Corning Gorilla Glass which have a greater scratch resistance in comparison to standard touchscreen panels
- Few users complained about the hardware and software issues
This is ideal for the children who wish to have a mid-sized screen for watching videos, doing projects, or any other purpose which makes visuals clearer. It has a snappy keyboard and attractive chassis. It offers an amazing 14.0-inch diagonal HD SVA BrightView. And it also includes LED-backlit, 220 nits, 45% NTSC (1366 x 768). 10th Generation Intel Dual-Core processor.
- Considering the size, this Chromebook has a very strong processor
- It has 9 hours battery life which is sufficient for a child
- One can also expand the memory storage as it has a micro SD card reader
- The weight is a major drawback of this device as its weight is 3.7 pounds, which can be a bit heavy for children
- Few buyers complained about the software bugs in this device. According to the user’s review, the functioning of the device could have been better.
This Chromebook is perfect for someone who is finding a balance between price and utility, as it has mid-level specifications and a compact size. LED display with high quality visual and audio features, a considerable amount of storage and a large screen visual seems like an all in one device. It also includes the 8th Gen Intel Core i5 processor. From Long Battery Life and Touch Screen with 180 Degree and B&O Play Audio, it wins the show with its advanced features.
- It provides an outstanding quality of the image as the screen has a compact size with a suitable resolution of 1366×768 which means it is more than HD (1280×720)
- It consists of an anti-glare screen panel feature which reduces the strain in the eyes if you are using this Chromebook for kids then you need a longer duration of time.
- This Chromebook offers 4 GB RAM, which is appropriate for a child to perform multitasking and smooth browsing on the internet.
- Many users reviewed that this Chromebook is very accessible for school projects and homework.
- Some buyers complained about the problem of hardware issues in the product. It has a 7 hours battery life which is comparatively lesser than the other devices in the market.
This Chromebook is perfect for someone who is bored with black and grey colour and looking for some different colours in Chromebook and doesn’t want to settle for the standard grey or black laptop. Asus Chromebook C300 has varied colours with modern-looking textures. It has a reasonable price for its varied features and a huge screen of 13.3 Inch with Intel Celeron processor and a 4GB storage with 16GB eMMC memory flash.
- There are three colour options available for you which are; Blue, Red, and Black. Every version of this laptop presents a change in the intact body of the Chromebook.
- This device comes with an SC card slot and USB 3.0 port which allows the user to expand the storage
- This device offers a battery life of 10 hours, which is suitable for extensive projects
- Some Negative reviews received from the buyers regarding bugs in software and issues in preloaded Chrome OS
This Chromebook is perfect for someone who is looking for basic usage and internet browsing. It has a basic structure for computing device systems essential for internet access and use. It provides instant web access and has long battery life. Samsung Series 5 Chromebook enables Wi-Fi and has a huge storage facility of up to 16GB.
- Good brightness and colour contrast because of 12.1 inches LED screen.
- Although this Chromebook comes in a tiny size, the features which it offers are quite impressive. It provides a webcam, stereo speakers, and an SD card slot which supports four types of format.
- This Chromebook offers 8.5 hours of battery life, which is quite enough for a kid.
- Many buyers loved the low weight of this Chromebook and felt good as it can be used as a tablet with a keyboard
- This Chromebook is not suitable for multi-tasking as the processor does not support the same.
This Chromebook is a combination of reasonable price and a light-weighted laptop. It has a solid foundation and structure with an attractive exterior, as compared to other Chromebook devices this one is probably the best. Intel Celeron 3205U processor and storage of up to 4GB with 16GB SSD memory.
- The device functions fast and respond rapidly because it provides 4GB of RAM.
- It does not cause strain in the eyes while using because of the matte finishing of the screen.
- 9 hours battery is offered by this device, which is sufficient for the entire day.
- The size of the laptop is small which can fit easily in the backpacks of the children.
- Some buyers complained about the durability and quality of the product and stated that it could have been better
This Chromebook is perfect for someone for whom excellent performance is the top-most priority. It has 7th Gen Intel Core processor and up to 16GB of RAM storage and 512GB flash storage. It has an excellent exterior and an incredible battery life. A rare forte of 1080p webcam and an amazing keyboard. A must use the device for Google and Chromebook fans.
- This Chromebook provides features of a 360° touch screen display. Because of this, One can easily use this Chromebook as a tablet.
- Google Pixelbook Go is quite powerful because of its 3.3GHz processor and 8GB RAM
- This Chromebook provides you with the additional advantage of fast-charging, which provides you two hours usage in just 15 minutes of Charging
- Google Assistant key on the keyboard allows you to easily adjust the setting of the device and information can be easily accessed
- This Chromebook is a bit pricey compared to other options available in market
- Google Pixelbook Go is only suitable for teens and adolescents. Young children might not understand the specifications of this device.
- This Chromebook is a bit old (Released in 2017) hence the processor is not fully upgraded
This Chromebook provides various functions and fulfil many requirements of children of all age groups. It contains advanced features like an extremely powerful processor and secondary camera. What attracts the audience more is the build-in pen and concrete design elements of the device exterior. This ultimate device with the 12.2-inch display screen and storage of 4GB RAM, 128GB eMMC storage. It is awesome.
- The hinge of the device is designed in such a manner that allows you to flip and fold the screen. Because of this, it can be used as a tablet.
- This device provides a stylus (touchscreen pen) which allows writing and sketch.
- This Chromebook is light-weight with a weight of 3 pounds only.
- You can easily store the school projects of your child with the feature of the microSD card reader
- Responsiveness of touch is not that much effective According to the Review of some buyers
This Chromebook is a fusion of lightweight, premium-quality screen and some impressive features. Touch-Screen Chromebook with Intel Core M and a 4GB Memory with 32GB eMMC Flash Memory it is a game-changer. It comes with a unique quality of the detachable tablet. It also offers features like typing ease and all-day battery life which is amazing. And it is a 100% recommended device for kids and adults both.
- It has outstanding colour contrast and brightness due to its full-HD IPS display
- Your kids can use this Chromebook as a tablet as the display is a touchscreen
- This Chromebook is ultra-lightweight with just 2 pounds
- The back-lit keyboard allows typing easily even in low-light
- Some users were not satisfied with the build of this Chromebook
If you are looking for a Chromebook for kids under $300, then this Chromebook is ideal for you. Samsung Chromebook 4 has the best battery life and is the most convenient and cost-efficient device for students. However, the picture quality and visuals are not up to the mark and it is not a touch screen device. Anyhow it is a great option to start with as kids operating on these devices do not require advanced features.
- It offers a battery life of 10.5 hours, which is quite impressive in this range
- This Chromebook is designed with an aluminium body which gives an amazing look and excites the kids to use it
- It also has, a comfortable keyboard and snappy Intel Celeron N4000 processor which helps your child in classwork
- It is light-weighted of 2.6 pounds only, which means your child can easily carry this Chromebook
- Unlike most of the latest Chromebook, this Chromebook does not support a touch screen, which limits its functions and comfort while using
- This audio of this device is not that impressive according to the reviews of some users. If you need this Chromebook for your kids, online lectures, then you’ll compulsorily need a pair of headphones.
This Chromebook is a fusion of traditional laptops and modern Chromebook as it comes with a detachable keyboard and can also be converted into tablet mode. It comes with a 10-inch 2-in-1 that runs Chrome OS and 4GB,6GB of RAM storage. It is made of a MediaTek processor containing wonderful performance and quantity features that can cater to your requirements as users.
- This Chromebook offers an optimized version, which makes it easy to have a look at other tabs as well
- Speakers of this device are loud enough that you don’t have to use headphones for your child’s lectures and videos
- It offers a 10.1-inch display which makes it easy to use as a tablet.
- This Chromebook is specially designed for kids. Hence, don’t consider using it for yourself because the size of the keys is too small for adults.
- Almost every Chromebook comes with an SD card slot which allows you to extend the storage capacity of the Chromebook but this is not the case This Chromebook does not offer the slot of SD card
How to Choose the Best Chromebook for Kids?
The following list of qualities need to be considered for choosing the best Chromebook for kids:
1. RAM & storage
Different Chromebooks offer different storage capacities ranging from 2GB to 16GB. For a child, 4GB RAM is enough if your child only needs it for school projects, Research for homework, and basic internet browsing. Although, if your child is a huge multimedia user, then 8GB is perfect for him. 2GB RAM is suitable only for basic internet browsing and 16GB is convenient for older teens and adolescents who are a heavy user and the ones who test and code the applications of software.
I would recommend that you choose your device according to the storage requirements your child would need. If your child is young and doesn’t need more storage then invest in the device accordingly. This will make your choice easy.
2. Laptop OR two-in-one
Some Chromebooks can be used as a regular laptop whereas, some models of Chromebooks have the feature of two-in-one that contains 360° hinge and touchscreen features. One can easily fold this kind of laptop and use it as a tablet. The two-in-one Chromebook is suitable for high school kids who use the Chromebook majorly for projects.
I personally feel that investing in an advanced, featured and expensive device only for its two in one feature is not feasible when the device is being used by kids. However, at the end of the day, it still is a personal choice you will make.
3. Types of ports
Different Chromebooks offer different ports. For instance, Some Chromebooks offer HDMI cable and USB slots while some Chromebooks offer SD card slots. Maximum Chromebook offers an HDMI port with a Slot of USB. This can be useful for the presentation of the project and the SD card slot provides you with additional storage outside the cloud.
Minor technicalities serve as an important aspect when it comes to purchasing electronics. Make sure you thoughtfully analyse the ports before making your decision.
4. Size of a screen
Screen size differs from model to model. The minimum screen size is 11.6 inches and the maximum screen size is 15.6 inches. The screen size of 11.6 inches is highly portable. Although, big screens make the Chromebook heavy but provide a better quality of videos and images. It is preferable to go for 12.3, 12.5, or 14-inch screens for excellent quality and portability.
Screen size is as important as any other aspect because when it comes to the size it is better if the kids can access the internet on a larger screen. This might help their eyes because small screens affect the eyesight of kids.
5. Chrome OS version
It is preferable to choose a Chromebook with the latest version of Chrome OS because the latest version would be free of bugs and better than the older version. Sometimes force the user to upgrade the version by continuous notifications and pop-ups. The devices work best in the Chrome OS versions make sure you consider information regarding the same.
6. Chrome OS expiry date
The updates of Google Chrome are available every six and a half years from the date when it was first released. After this period, an Auto Update Expiration (AUE) is activated and your device will stop receiving updates from Google. Your device will function like it used to, but the only difference is, it won’t receive any extra features. Kids who use Chromebooks for multimedia purposes will be unaffected by AUE, but the children who are using Chromebooks for major educational work and school projects would be highly affected by AUE.
The chrome OS expiry date is an important feature to keep in mind when it comes to investment.
This is an important factor that every parent should consider while choosing the best Chromebook for kids because a kid cannot carry a heavy Chromebook. Although almost every Chromebook is lighter in weight if weight is a tremendous concern for you, then you should go for a Chromebook whose size of the screen is 11.6 inches because these are extremely light-weighted in comparison to other Chromebooks.
Because the devices are selected for the kids, weight carries a huge impact on the decision you make. Heavy size devices cannot be easily carried by the children and that increases the risk of damage. Choose wisely.
Fix a budget first and then make a list of the requirements of your child before selecting the best Chromebooks for kids. Well, the price you have to pay completely depends on the requirements of your child. The more features you want, the higher budget you should create.
If you want the Chromebook just for Research and educational purposes and not for games and other distracting applications, then you can purchase any of these Chromebook. You need to boot up the system while using the device for the first time and teach your child the same so that the second time he can start the Chromebook by himself.
As a user the investment in the device is yours and it is completely an individual choice to format budgeting and analyzing features with prices.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Chromebook is perfectly suitable for children as they are smaller and lighter than traditional laptops, and the maximum Chromebook offers spill-free or spill-resistant features. Although they don’t have fast processors or high-end specs, all these things are not needed for a child.
Chromebook is one of the most secure devices for the usage of a child, unlike traditional laptops. The Chromebook is easy to use compared to basic laptops or computers and they are designed for low requirements hence; they function relatively faster and stability is also better.
A Chromebook is a suitable choice for students who want to use Chromebooks for homework and online lectures with no games or a lot of applications. On Chromebooks, Students can write notes and complete homework with the help of Google docs and share the homework directly with their parents or teacher. Students can even create word documents in Microsoft office. Most Chromebook is light so it is extremely easy for the students to carry the Chromebook in school while putting it in the backpack. Chromebook demands less maintenance compared to laptop and computer. Google has developed Chromebook, keeping in mind the security and safety of the child. There are active functions behind the scenes to protect when your child browses the web.
The Chrome OS does not require any kind of hardware for functioning. A Chromebook functioning on a less powerful processor can start and shut down the Chromebook within some seconds so the Chromebook has impressive battery life. Your child will be able to operate the Chromebook for a complete day on a single charge.
Yes, gradually Chromebook is developed in a manner that it can support maximum Android applications. So you will be able to download educational apps for your kids on Chromebook and you can even download some games if required.
We would suggest that you spare some time and sit with your child to make him understand how the Chromebook works and download all the useful apps for him. It is preferable to supervise for the first few times to make sure that your child is using the Chromebook correctly. This will avoid damage or misuse of Chromebooks. Hope, by now if you have concluded, which is the best Chromebook for your kids.
Was this article helpful for you? Still, have some queries? You can ask us in the Comment section. We would be happy to answer. Thanks for reading, we hope you had an informative and helpful glance through the curated Chromebooks for kids that are the best in the market.
You may also like: