Want to keep your environment private from others in a Zoom meeting? Here I have explained how to change the background on Zoom. Are your walls full of caricatures made by your tiny little future artists? Well, you don’t have to worry anymore. The Zoom virtual background feature is a perfect solution to your problem.
In this feature, you can display an image or a video as your zoom background. Your privacy is at your fingertips now. However, this feature needs some prerequisites such as a uniform lighting facility and in some cases, a green screen. The most glamorous feature of the same is you can also upload the images or videos of your choice as your background. However, it also has some exasperating prerequisites.
In this article, I’ll try to explain in detail the necessary prerequisites, do’s and don’ts, and ultimately, how to enable the virtual background for your Zoom meetings.
More Zoom Guides:
How to Enable Virtual Zoom Background?
You will be able to change your background on Zoom or the feature appears on your settings only after enabling “Virtual Background” on your Zoom web portal. You can enable virtual background for all users in an account as an administrator and the same applies to everyone in a group. However, you can also do the same as an individual user who’s not affiliated with any group or organization.
- Sign in to Zoom web portal at zoom.us
- Click on settings from the menu
- Now, you will find “In meeting advanced” in the “meeting” tab.
- Scroll down and you’ll see the option to turn on “virtual background”
- After this, you’ll find a checkbox to use videos for your virtual background. Check out it if you want to use the same.
Now you’ve successfully enabled the virtual background option via the Zoom web portal.
How to change Your Zoom Background?
For Windows/ macOS –
- Sign in to Zoom desktop client
- You’ll find “settings” below your profile picture.
- Now, click on “virtual background”
- Click on an image or you can add the image of your choice by clicking the ‘+’ icon.
- If you don’t have a Green screen or equivalent, you can download the Zoom package for the virtual background without a green screen.
For LINUX –
- Sign in to Zoom desktop client
- Go to “settings”
- Select “virtual background”
- Click on an image or you can add the image of your choice.
For Android/iOS –
- Sign in to the Zoom app
- Click on “more”
- Click on “virtual background”
- Select a background or you can add your own by clicking ‘+’.
Enabling Virtual Background Image in a Meeting:
In your zoom meeting, click the ‘^’ icon next to the turn on/turn off video option. Click on “choose virtual background” and you’ll be able to change your background in a zoom meeting.
Do’s and Don’ts:
- Use a solid colour background, preferably Green.
- Using a higher quality camera yields better output.
- Use a uniform lighting system. A three-point lighting setup is ideal.
- Manually pick your background color to ensure that the correct one is selected.
- Avoid clothing that is similar in color to your background.
- Ensure that the color of your eyes and that of the backdrop are different.
Resolution Guide for Zoom Background:
While you’re uploading the images or videos of your choice, adhering to the resolution guide will yield better results.
Though there are no restrictions regarding the images you upload, it’s always desirable that the image is cropped to meet the aspect ratio of your camera.
- If the aspect ratio of your camera is 16:9, an image of 1280×720 pixels or 1290×1080 pixels will be desirable.
- However, if you aren’t a tech-boy and aren’t familiar with the aspect ratio of your camera, simply ensure that the images you upload have a minimum resolution of 1280×720 pixels.
- MP4 or MOV files are supported.
- Ensure that the minimum resolution of the video is 480×360 pixels.
- However, video resolution shall not exceed 1920×1080 pixels.
Not able to change your Zoom background?
Not able to change your background even after reading millions of articles and watching demo videos and doing back-to-front as it’s instructed? Well, it may not be always your fault. Try these to fix the issue:
- Ensure that the toggle for enabling virtual background is not greyed out. If it is greyed out, it is to be noted that this feature is locked at your group level. Contact your group administrator to resolve this issue.
- Even after enabling the same, you’re not able to find the option to change your background, then try sign-out and sign-in again.
- Even after this, you’re experiencing issues with changing your background, then contact Zoom Technical Support.
Managing virtual background by the admin:
- If you’re an administrator of a Zoom group, you can upload images of your choice for the virtual background.
- You can allow the users to use images of their choice or you can restrict them to the images of your choice.
- You can click the ‘lock’ icon so that your users cannot alter your choice.
- Your users shall be using the Zoom version of 5.1.1 or above to avail of this feature.
- However, you cannot change or remove the default images from the web portal.
Frequently Asked Questions:
The virtual background option at the Zoom portal becomes greyed when it is locked at your group level. Contact your group administrator for resolving this issue.
Sure. You just need to have a solid background. If not, you can simply download the Zoom smart virtual background package for a better experience.
If you aren’t familiar with the aspect ratio of your camera, simply choose an image with a minimum resolution of 1280×720 pixels.
Simply log-out and log-in to your Zoom client/Mobile app. If the issue persists, contact Zoom Technical Support.
It’s not your fault. This feature only works if the users are using version 5.1.1 or above Zoom.
In toto, changing background in Zoom meetings can be done through three simple steps. First of all, you’ve to enable the virtual background option in the Zoom portal. After that, you’ve to log-in to the Zoom client/ Zoom mobile app and click on ‘virtual background’ and finally, select an image or upload an image of your choice as your background.
Amidst the pandemic, all kinds of everyday meetings have gone virtual. An average person will have at least two-three meetings a day. Zoom app with its background changing feature enables you to keep your environment private from others in the meeting with your privacy at your fingertips.
You may also like: